Cuban musician Roberto Fonseca is one of the most charismatic musicians of today and his third studio album provides confirmation that the 36-year-old pianist is one of the most gifted of his generation.
His new album “Yo” was released two days ago. Its author considers it a new beginning in his career. While exploring new musical dimensions, Fonseca is blending traditional acoustic instruments with elements of electronica and red-hot grooves with electronic beats. The music on this album is playful and passionate in equal measure, and Fonseca’s lyrical approach is recalling Herbie Hancock and Abdullah Ibrahim.
Alongside Fonseca on piano and keyboards the album features percussionist Baba Sissoko, bas player Etienne Mbappe, Munir Hossn on guitar and Sekou Kouyate who plays the African instrument kora. Guest musicians are Cubans Joel Hierrezulo on percussions, Ramses Rodriguez on drums and Felipe Cabrera on doublebass. On this album Fonseca collaborates with vocalists Faudel, Fatoumata Diawara, Assane Mboup and MC and producer Mike Ladd.
Live shows of this Cuban pianist have been capturing audiences worldwide for more than a decade. His 2012 tour starts tomorrow, March 23rd with the first of seven concerts in the UK featuring his seven member band.
- 80′s, Roberto Fonseca 6:24
- Bibisa, Roberto Fonseca, Fatoumata Diawara 4:32
- Mi Negra Ave María, Roberto Fonseca 5:20
- 7 Rayos, Roberto Fonseca, Nicolàs Guillén 5:29
- El Soñador Está Cansado, Roberto Fonseca 5:04
- Chabani, Roberto Fonseca, Faudel Amil 5:11
- Gnawa Stop, Roberto Fonseca 5:16
- El Mayor, Roberto Fonseca 1:21
- JMF, Roberto Fonseca 4:48
- Así Es La Vida, Roberto Fonseca 4:30
- Quien Soy Yo, Roberto Fonseca, Assane Mboup 3:41
- Rachel, Roberto Fonseca 3:36
- Bibisa – Re-mix Roberto Fonseca, Fatoumata Diawara 4:07
- 80′s – Re-mix Roberto Fonseca 03:65